I seem to be totally lost while i was going through the OSPF NBMA network types and desperately need your assistance to clear my concepts. From what i have known so far, OSPF supports the following network types
a. Point - Point (Serial connection)
b. Broadcast Multi Access (Ethernet, Token Ring)
c. Non - Broadcast Multi Access (FR, X.25, ATM)
d. Point - Multipoint (ANY EXAMPLE FOR THIS TYPE PLEASE?)
Further, NBMA networks can be broken down to
Point - Multipoint
Point - Multipoint nonbroadcast
Point to point
1. From my understanding, NBMA networks are FR, ATM, X.25 which do not allow multicast and broadcast traffic, is that right? Then how come configuring FR networks like point - multipoint allow multicast traffic to go to OSPF neighbor.
2. From practical network point of view, which is the most commonly used NBMA network type?
3. Is it the default behaviour of OSPF that it considers NBMA to be a broadcast network though it is not?
4. Under which circumstances would you configure Broadcast and
Point to point network types in NBMA?
5. I have gone through KNet, BSCI books but still am not clear of these concepts. If there is any blog or link which gives good explanation of these, do let me know.
Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.