Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS for Streaming Video in 1841

mathurmahesh
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have a 2 locations which are connected by leased line with 2Mbps of speed.on both sides i have cisco 1841 with IP base images.

The application used in this 2 Mbps line is Streaming video (IP DVR) and data file sharing .

Now my problem is that when i access the Ip DVR my bandwidth is fully utilized .

any anybody send me the configuration for QOS so that i can limite the bandwidth of video to 200kbps..

present configuration:

serial 0/0/0:10.0.0.1/24

fa0/0 : 192.168.10.1/24

configuration 2:

serial : 10.0.0.2/24

fa0/0 : 192.168.11.1/24

Please help me out in this ...i can rate...

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

i hope you can limit the bandwidth based on the ip address.

Based on my experience i would rather go with 256K or 384K for better experience.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/qos/command/reference/qrfcmd8.html#wp1037428

you can refer the link to configure the limit based on the ip address..

regds

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unclear what your issue is or what you're trying to accomplish.

If the issue is, the video is consuming too much bandwidth, yes you can limit or shape it with QoS, but even streaming video has certain bandwidth requirements, which when not met, often tend to destroy the received picture. For instance, even shaving 10% off a video stream, although 90% of the packets reach their destination, all you might see is a black/blank screen.

If you're going to make the stream ineffective, block all its packets. If the stream is consuming too much bandwidth, but you want to see it, have the source use a lower quality and/or resolution (and less bandwidth demanding) stream.

PS:

Normally, QoS is used to insure the video steam obtains the bandwidth it needs. I.e. protect it from data application, not protect data applicatons from video.

thanks for the reply but my steaming video varies its availbale bandwidth from 200 kbps to 2000kbps that is why i want to restrict to 200kbps...

configuration is needed???

Steaming video usually is variable bandwidth, so high and low demand at any time can vary greatly. Also, as with other traffic, is this just one stream or multi-streams? Reason for last question, as steams come and go, so will bandwidth demand, which could be reason for large spread in bandwidth demand you note.

If you're seeing 2 Mbps bandwidth demand, and you limit it to 200 K, again, very likely you'll just forward 200 K of useless video packets. But if you insist, below is a CBWFQ example how to limit such traffic.

e.g.

class-map match-all YourClassName

match (something to identify video stream)

policy-map YourPolicyName

class YourClassName

bandwidth (set for 200 K)

police (or shape) (set for 200 K)

(outbound video source side) interface serial x

service-policy output YourPolicyName

thanks will definetly try this.....The traffice that comes is the broadcast trafic from this cam....

arupbiet2006
Level 1
Level 1

hi,mahesh

u can limit your router data rate.its possible

for 1800 series.but u don't send your configuration with out help of your config it's should not b okay for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: