cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP instances limitation on 2950

pmpesha
Level 1
Level 1

I do have a 2950 switch that has 64 STP instance limitation. Can this switch model support more than 64 STP instances? Thank you

10 Replies 10

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

It depends on your software version you are using but normally on the 2950 low-end switch supports the per-VLAN spanning tree (PVST) with a maximum of 64 spanning-tree instances. The remaining VLANs operate with STP disabled.

If you go a model up say the 2960 In PVST+ or rapid-PVST+ mode, the switch supports up to 128 spanning-tree instances.

In MSTP mode, the switch supports up to 65 MST instances.

Thanks for the input. I am on Version 12.1(22)EA11. Is there a recommended version for the 2950, that will support more that 64 STP instances? Thanks.

PHILIPE,

from 12.1(22)EA11 and later the supported Spanning-Tree Instances are the same as above.

Francisco.

Pls kindly rate.

Maybe you should upgrade to the 2960's

Francisco,

Thanks, If Iam uderstanding you correctly, to get a support for more instances, I do have to upgrade my switch to 2960, or a 3560, 3750.

Phil.

On 3750, In PVST+ or rapid-PVST+ mode, the switch stack supports up to 128 spanning-tree instances.

On 3550, The switch supports the per-VLAN spanning tree (PVST) and a maximum of 128 spanning-tree instances

So yes if you move to a higer model from the 2950 you get more instances.

May i ask why you need more instances?

We have about 4 2950 swiches that are dedicated for icu monitoring. They have two vlans. Every time a change is made to our STP root, their systems get disconnected. The disconnected behavior started after the layer 2 hardenning changes. Things like guard root on the core and guard loop on the access switchs, etc. After discovering the issue, we removed the hardenning on these four switches, and the down stream ports on the core, specifically for these switches. The problem went away, until we created a new vlan which triggered the STP updates, the STP instance are at the muximum on these switches, then we started having disconnection!

PHILIPE,

Create a new discussion for your STP issues so we can help you properly.

Can you pls rate this discussion.

Francisco.

thanks

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you explain why you need even 64 instances on a 2950 ? If you are hooked to a server with more than 64 all that needs to be done is to "manually" prune (remove) off all vlans on the connecting links that are not needed on that 2950.

"switchport trunk allowed vlan XX" .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: