Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribute RIP into EIGRP network

shane.kearney
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I am building my own network at home and need some guidance

could you tell me how to redistribute RIP into EIGRP, the network at home I set up is using a the 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 IP and subnet and on the internet facing side of the router it uses RIP on network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 the default gateway for the internet is 192.168.1.254, I am using NAT as well on the internet facing router to translate the 10.10.10.0 to 192.168.1.1. How can I redistribute the networks learned by RIP into the EIGRP network?

Any Thoughts???

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Shane

Redistribution of RIP into EIGRP is not so difficult. The main thing to remember is that when you redistribute into a protocol you usually need to define a default metric. So redistribution of RIP into EIGRP might look something like this:

router eigrp 1

redistribute rip 10000 100 200 50 1500

This will redistribute the routes learned by RIP into EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Shane

EIGRP can use 5 different metrics when it selects routes although by default bandwidth and delay are the only 2 used.

See attached link for more details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c2d96.shtml#eigrpbasics

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Shane

Redistribution of RIP into EIGRP is not so difficult. The main thing to remember is that when you redistribute into a protocol you usually need to define a default metric. So redistribution of RIP into EIGRP might look something like this:

router eigrp 1

redistribute rip 10000 100 200 50 1500

This will redistribute the routes learned by RIP into EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cool I will try this thanks a mil.

Hi what does the 10000 100 200 50 1500 mean in the command??

Shane

EIGRP can use 5 different metrics when it selects routes although by default bandwidth and delay are the only 2 used.

See attached link for more details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c2d96.shtml#eigrpbasics

Jon

Hello, what does the input 10000 100 200 50 1500 mean in the command

hello Shane,

all those parameters are there to provide the metric components to calculate the seed metric: the metric that EIGRP will associate to prefixes imported from RIP in this case.

EIGRP requires an explicit configuration of the seed metric you can do it in a separate line command with default-metric 10000 100 200 50 1500 or as Rick suggested in the redistribute command.

The difference is that using default-metric it can be used by multiple redistribute statements.

Without defining a seed metric no RIP prefix would be imported in EIGRP so it is a necessary step in redistributing into EIGRP.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Shane

As Jon and Giuseppe have pointed out EIGRP needs 5 parameters as part of its route advertisement and calculation of metrics. For redistributed routes you typically need to supply those 5 parameters. If you are interested in the meaning of the parameters here they are:

10000 represents a figure for bandwidth

100 represents a figure for delay

200 represents a figure for reliability

50 represents a figure for load

1500 represents a figure for MTU.

It is not particularly important what specific values you use. I like to use figures that would be typical for a moderately attractive route. I have seen configs where people used a default that represented a very attractive route (very high bandwidth, very low delay, very high reliability, very low load) and that works also.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: