cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H-REAP and DHCP

stanleyworks
Level 1
Level 1

Issue with Users not able to get a DHCP address without H-REAP configuration. They able to auth. fine, but no IP address.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

H-REAP access points drop all traffic off locally through a trunk link, whereas non-H-REAP access points send all traffic back to the controllers first. So it sounds like your DHCP server is unable to be reached from your controller. Does your DHCP server exist at a different site from your controller, and maybe the subnet it's on is somehow blocked?

Additionally, controllers perform similar functionality to ip helper-addresses for non-H-REAP access point clients. Is the DHCP server address properly configured under the VLAN interface on the controller?

To add onto Jeff's good points, you also need to make sure your wlan ssid is set to local switching or else the traffic will come back to the interface specified on the wlan. On the ap, you need to make sure you set the management vlan and correctly map your wlan to vlans. With the switchport configured as a dot1q trunk and the management vlan set to native, you are pretty much set. The rest is all infrastructure.... making sure the vlans are configured on the switch, ip-helper, etc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

1. I have the WLan to allow H-Reap local switching

2. some DHCP servers are not in the same location of the Controller and there is it is not blocked between DHCP server and Controller

3. I have configured dynamic Vlans on Controller for each site and tight into WLAN group to SSID(WLAN) for these dynamic Vlans.

4. The controller ports are trunk and management vlan set to native.

My guess is that I dont need to tight dynamic vlans into WLAN per WLAN group.

from the global WLAN(SSID) configuration need to map to management vlan on the controller and configuring dynamic vlans.

incase of H-REAP, AP will request dhcp address from the local gateway. Incase of non-H-Reap, controller will request dhcp address from the management vlans.

Thanks,

Are you trying to get this to work with the ap's in H-REAP mode or local mode? With H-REAP, you don't need to create dynamic interfaces. In the case of h-reap, dhcp request will be done via the ap, in local mode the wlc will forward the dhcp request.

-Scott

fella5,

I am trying to make it work in local mode.

what is "AP Groups VLAN Feature Enable"?

Do I have to "Mapping an interface(VLAN) for an existing AP Group" for local mode to work? and under APs > Details > Advanced "AP Group Name" do I have to assign these AP's to the Group name?

Thanks

With the ap in local mode and not in h-reap mode? Everything tunnel back to the wlc. This is why you need to create dynamic interfaces on the wlc. The WLAN you create will be mapped or set to use one of the interfaces on the wlc. AP group allows you to map multiple subnets to a single said. If you don't have a large deployment where you need this feature then I don't suggest using it. Get local mode working first before trying to get ap groups working. Just do a search on Cisco's website for AP Groups. You will find a good doc.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card