Views
Helpful
Replies

OSI Layers working in both directions?

hassaan_st
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends,

this question is with regard to the OSI model...

as far i remember, 7 layers of OSI model work in either direction i.e from top to bottom (from layer-7 to layer-1) and from bottom to top (from layer-1 to layer-7).

In the ICND-1 official module, it talks about the Encapsulation and De-Encapsulation processes. Accoring to the Encapsulation process, when sender sends the data,it is encapsulated and passed from Application layer to Physical Layer.Now when receiver receives this data,it gets De-Encapsulated and passes from Physical layer to Application Layer. Therefore in this whole process, data was passed from Layer-7 to Layer-1(Encapsulation), and then was later passed from Layer-1 to Layer-7 (De-Encapsulation).

The confusion starts when Cisco, soon after this, talks about the 'Peer to Peer Communication'.

My question is that the same 'Encapsulation and De-Encapsulation' process is followed in the P2P communication? and OSI layers always work in both directions?

Regards

2 Replies 2

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hi there!

It has been a while since I got CCNA, but for me P2P communication is describing the way that 2 peers communicate (as an example P2P is opposite to hub-and-spoke). Of course that encapsulation and de-encapsulation of the packets take place no matter if the communication in P2P or another type (eg. hub-and-spooke).

For me OSI layer and type of communication are 2 different things. L1-L7 or L7-L1 take place no matter of the method of communication.

Please tell me if you need more info.

Cheers,

Calin

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

P2P is a form network communications and therefore follows the OSI model. Please note that:

- The OSI model is an idealized model and that the TCP/IP stack doesn't follow the OSI model to the letter since it has less than seven layers and some protocols are not confined to a single OSI layer.

- P2P is an alternative to the client-server model of networking. The [en/de]-encapsulation you refer to is applicable in both cases.

Ahmed Naas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card