Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity unable to forward update to the Microsoft Exchange Server

howct7231
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would like to know what mainly the problem will be when one leave the voicemail on the phone but unable to update to the microsoft exchange server ?

What solution can be done and document to be refer ?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could you clarify please? Are you saying that someone leaves a voicemail in a unified environment but it never arrives in their Outlook client? Can they still check the voicemail on their phone? What does the Unity say when they check their voicemail? If it isn't arriving at Outlook and this is unified messaging, look at the Commserver directory on the drive you installed Unity at and go look in the UnityMTA directory. Do you have messages storing in there? Also, do you have any errors in your application log in the event viewer that seem related to leaving a message for someone? IE) when you leave a message for someone and it doesn't arrive in Outlook, is there an error in the application log at the same time? With more information, I can help you more but I am not sure totally what you are asking.

Tray

We occasionally get messages queued in the UnityMTA folder and was hoping to know of a way to monitor this. In this folder there should be no files so I'm wondering if there is a script (or anything) that can be run every hour and notify me if anything exists in this folder. Typically rebooting the server clears this but it can be many hours before we know messages aren't being delivered. Also, any quick way to resolve a MWI issue without having to reboot the server??

Ok so we have two questions and two issues in this thread now. As far as the UnityMTA goes, off hand I would say you can setup the Event Monitoring Service from the Unity Tools Depot to trigger an email, etc. for Event ID 137 which states...

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_UMR

Event Category: UMR Thread Error

Event ID: 137

Date: 1/16/2004

Time: 6:09:20 PM

User: N/A

Computer: CHAMPLAINUNITY

Description:

Attempts to deliver UMR messages have failed due to Unity configuration or connectivity issues with

the Partner Mail Server.

AvUMRSyncSvr will suspend message delivery for 300 seconds, after which message delivery will be

attempted again.

During this outage, messages may accumulate in the temporary store. 0x00000AF4

or this event id 155 here..

EVENT # 7148

EVENT LOG Application

EVENT TYPE Warning

SOURCE CiscoUnity_UMR

CATEGORY UMR Thread Error

EVENT ID 155

COMPUTERNAME ENTERPRISE-IPT3

TIME 6/5/2006 8:51:41 AM

MESSAGE One or more messages have been held in the UnityMTA directory for 30 days. This

directory is used by the Unity Messaging Repository service to temporarily store voice

messages left by unidentified callers when the Partner Mail Server (EXMPOMAIL1) is not

available. Normally, these messages are delivered shortly after Cisco Unity detects that

the partner mail server has come back on-line. Check that the partner mail server is

on-line, including the mailstore, and that Cisco Unity can connect to it. If the partner

mail server is on-line and reachable, to diagnose the problem, enable all the micro traces

for the AvUMRSyncSvr service, restart the service, and then examine the logs.

Message information:

Recipient: dpreston 0x00001034

See if that helps.

Tray

Yes you can use the EMS service to get notified live of errors or warning or information in the event viewer. if a message is stuck in UnityMTA you will get something in the event viewer.

EMS is in the tools depot on the desktop of the Unity server.

However I reccomend you watch the videos and read the help file here.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_EMS.htm

Please rate if this helps.

Randy

Hi

Thanks for the help.

From the application log, I have checked that there is a connectivity error with the microsoft exchange (event id 137), now the question is how am I have to verify the exchange server name and edit amend from ?

I am not sure exactly what you mean but you only have one Exchange partner server so that would be the one you lost contact with. If you look at the Gather Unity System Information tool in the Unity Tools Depot under the Reporting Tools, it will tell you what your parnter Exchange server is.

Tray

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I meant to address teh MWI question too. Just use the troubleshooting guide for your version of Unity. Here is a generic 4.0(5) one here that should suffice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/405/troubleshooting/guide/ex/tsg_0500.html

Tray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: