cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS versions on switches

jmaurer1205
Level 1
Level 1

I need to update the IOS on a 3560 switch that has control over the IP Cisco phones. I am looking at the IOS versions and the prefixes are SE(ED), SEE4(ED) AND SED1(ED).

I forget what they mean. I thought it was something about the ROM. What does it mean?

The switch I have is WS-C3560-24PS-S. The latest version is 12.2.46-SE(ED). I can use that IOS for the switch I have correct?

3 Replies 3

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

Verify you have enough space and meet the requirements (show ver) and you should be good to go. As for the versions, I've never really seen a difference, as long as you use the right feature train (IP Base, Advanced IP Services, etc). I'm sure there's a more specific answer, however I've bounced between them all and never noticed.

Don't forget to backup your config!

Cheers!

JB

Cool, Thank You for the input.

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

SE

SEE4

SED1

are minor updates to the major train. Sort of like hot fixes. If you have the right memory and flash requirments you should be okay with any of them. Just make sure there aren't any known vulnerabilities with that version that may fit your environment. The release information should detail any vulernabilities.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card