cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

write memory - CPU Utilization

rsgamage1
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 1841 running on c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-7d.

I see more than 80% of CPU utilization soon after saving the configuration(write mem), which lasts for several seconds. Could this lead to a router crash at a particular stage?

Is it due to a bug in IOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Ranil,

the cpu on a router like yours can have these spikes.

About why saving the config can cause a so high cpu usage I think that modern routers that are SDM ready can actually have to create an XML file for the running config, then they have to translate it to a simple text file and to write it on the NVRAM.

So the duty can be now heavier then in the past.

I usually look at the cpu average 1min as the parameter to decide if a router is working fine or it is overloaded.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Router crashes are due to software bugs, not hardware utilization. The 1800's are small routers and use a lower end processor. My 1800's do the same and I have never had a problem with them yet.

Hope that helps.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ranil,

if the cpu goes over 80% only for several seconds it shouldn't lead to a router crash.

Is it due to a bug in IOS?

It may be after having seen a bug about HSRP in your other post ...:)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

You are quite right. In fact, I came across another bug which says router crashes when the write memory and

secure boot-image commands are executed simultaneously(Ref: CSCsg69124).

I've been thinking since about a week regarding this high CPU utilization when saving the runnging config.

When I noticed that it consumes lot of processing power, I was a bit suspicious that this symptom also has something to do with the affected image.

So do you mean to say that this normal and expected?

FYI: the average CPU utilization is around 2% at the moment.

It's likely normal behavior, since many Cisco software based routers spike their CPU when writing to the flash, such as loading a new IOS via tftp or FTP. Plus, the CPU might have to parse out the config before it saves it (often there's a delay before a show run vs. a show config.)

Hello Ranil,

the cpu on a router like yours can have these spikes.

About why saving the config can cause a so high cpu usage I think that modern routers that are SDM ready can actually have to create an XML file for the running config, then they have to translate it to a simple text file and to write it on the NVRAM.

So the duty can be now heavier then in the past.

I usually look at the cpu average 1min as the parameter to decide if a router is working fine or it is overloaded.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts . I'm convinced that this is expected for an SDM enabled low-end ISR.

I've made an IOS upgrade as well(to correct the HSRP bug); CPU utilization remains the same as it was before.

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card