cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What Router to buy

shane.kearney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, I want to buy a cisco router that has a DSL port so I can connect an RJ11 cable to it and use it as my internet facing router, I have no idea where to start, please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shane,

Depends what kind of thing you're looking to do with it, really. If it's for personal use, or for small office use, go for the Cisco 857.

For anything bigger, go for the Cisco 1841 or 2800-series with WIC-1ADSL.

If you're just starting out with Cisco routers, and are just buying one for home use, have a look on eBay for one of the older 800-series routers - the 827 and 837 are very cheap and are very capable routers (I've got an 827H, which is my internet-facing router).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shane,

Depends what kind of thing you're looking to do with it, really. If it's for personal use, or for small office use, go for the Cisco 857.

For anything bigger, go for the Cisco 1841 or 2800-series with WIC-1ADSL.

If you're just starting out with Cisco routers, and are just buying one for home use, have a look on eBay for one of the older 800-series routers - the 827 and 837 are very cheap and are very capable routers (I've got an 827H, which is my internet-facing router).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

antonio.vazquez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 827H bougth in eBay (it has cost to me 40€ four months ago) and I'm very glad to adquire it.

Regards

marckozam
Level 1
Level 1

The 857 is a terrific ADSL router but consider the 877 for the added memory, IPv6 and VLAN capability.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card