cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS auto discovery via CDP?

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an option in LMS 2.6 to auto-discover adjacent devices using pre-set SNMP and/or logon creds?

This would cut down on the manual adding of new devices.

thanks

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CDP-based discovery is available in Campus Manager. You can configure it under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery, and it can be started from Campus Manager > Home.

The only credential supported is the SNMP read-only credential. For default credentials are available in LMS 3.x.

Thanks much.

Will CM populate DCR with new devices? If I set up my seed devices, how does CM know which SNMP string to use?

Yes, CM will auto-populate DCR. When you configure discovery, you can specify the SNMP credentials to use in its sweep.

Just wanted to clarify the SNMP set up. I'm not seeing a specific snmp-only entry. I do see under SNMP where it wants a Target as well as SNMP string. I was under the impression the SNMP set up would be a generic use for all CDP neighbors type of set up without having to manually enter a target device?

You don't. If all of your devices use the same SNMP credentials, enter a target of *.*.*.*.

Thanks, I see it now. I have 3 *.*.*.* entries, the configured for our default string was not correct.

We have Enable Multiple Community Strings enabled so will using multiple *.*.*.* with different SNMP strings be OK w/ CM?

Yes, this will be fine.

Thanks Jclarke.

Last question, is DCR updated by the latest records both from CM and CS or does one trump the other?

Discovery will update the hostname, IP address, and optionally Display Name of any device which already exists in DCR. These values can then be changed manually, or via a bulk import. However, every time Discovery runs, it will update those properties again if it finds them to be different.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco