Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Setup for LAN

rmujeeb81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Group,

I have to setup multicast in our LAN network for which I need some desing and configuration examples specifically for LAN. This setup would be simple as we have 2 Cisco 6509 in core/distribution and 3560s as access layer swicthes. Multicast servers will be connected directly with core switch. What would be the recommended PIM mode I should use here in this scenario ? Only layer 3 device in this scenario is cisco 6509 switch which is trunked with multiple access layer ( 3560s ) switches.

Regards,

Mujeeb

3 Replies 3

rmujeeb81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Group,

I did some configuration which I want to share. There will be 3 multicast servers so put all servers in a separate VLAN and created a SVI. Servers are having ip address 10.9.9.x/24 and default routing towards 10.9.9.254 ( SVI )and I configured that SVI in PIM Dense mode. Recievers of multicast traffic will be assigned to same VLAN on edge switches. IGMP snooping is already enabled on edge switches. Kindly verify this setup and let me know if there is some problem in this.

Regards,

Mujeeb

Hello Mujeeb,

your setup should work just verify that the multilayer switch owner of SVI 10.9.9.254 is sending the IGMP queries because this is needed in order to have IGMP snooping to work correctly.

Do a sh ip igmp groups on that router to see that it has received the IGMP membership reports for the multicast group(s) of interest.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your prompt response. I will do 'show ip igmp groups' once servers and recievers will be connected during testing. One another thing if you can confirm is implementation of QoS for this multicast traffic. As per multicast server's vendor requirement they require 10 Mbps for each server. Would you recommend QoS ? what I did for this setup that I connected these servers with secondary 6509 and made this switch root for Multicast VLAN so only multicast traffic will actually flowing between secondary 6509 and edge switches over respective trunk links.

Thanks & Regards,

Mujeeb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card