Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP not joining controller, but has downloaded software

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have four APs that when I powered on individually, they went into the downloading state and rebooted, now have the mac address APxxxx.xxxx.xxxx.cisco.com and can see this on my switch and cdp is working, but has not joined the controller?

I know that DHCP is set correctly as I have another AP on the switch/VLAN that is working?

Any ideas?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

5 Replies 5

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Also, Just a point I omitted.

There was a problem with the DHCP scopes not having the vendor code in and I got this fixed. I am just wondering if anything on the WLC needs clearing?

Now when I do the following command, I can see then MACs but they say "not joined" ?

All the others that are working say "Joined".

(Cisco Controller) >show ap join stats summary all

Number of APs.............................................. 40

xx:xx:xx:Xx:Xx:Xx.......................................... Not joined

xx:xx:xx:Xx:Xx:Xx.......................................... Not joined

Many thx indeed,

Ken

To answer your specific question, there's no need to clear anything on the WLC. The access points should simply connect.

Did you upgrade these access points, and could this be a certificate issue? If they are upgraded 1100s or 1200s, you may need to add the SSCs generated during the upgrade process into the controller. This can be done under the Security tab.

If that's not the issue, I would try to connect the access points more directly by placing them on the management subnet. This will hopefully tell you whether there's a problem with your discovery method.

Have you looked at the access points to see their status according to their LEDs? Are they still seeking a controller? Is it possible that they've found a different controller somewhere else on the network?

scottishmodo
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of AP's are they? Are you runnig L2 or L3? Depending on what model AP it might be a SSC issue.

asummer@jhmi.edu

Hi Guys,

Sorry a bit late responding back.

Running L3 with lap1240s and WLC version 4.2.112.0

So, after taking some ACLs off the access LAN switches, a few of them came up.

So must be sommat in my ACLs. Umm.

Also, does anyone else have any problems if you try to bring up more than one AP at a time to register with a controller? As if I just enable all ports, none of them seem to register, then shut them all down and enable them 1-by-1 and it appears to work?

Many thx to all as usual,

Ken (no hair left) :)

You should be able to bring up more that that. Maybe it is you ACL's again :) If the ap's have to download the code, then I think there is a 10 ap limit at a time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card