cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic QoS Assistance requested

scottconklin
Level 1
Level 1

I have the need to limit bandwidth used for a weekly copy job between our Production environment and our DR environment. We have a low CIR on our DR environment, so I would like to keep the bandwidth as low as possible between the sites to ensure that all data gets transferred before the rebuild task occurs, but not have to pay penalties for exceeding the CIR.

The current configurations that I have are as follows:

access-list 120 permit ip host 10.1.10.10 host 10.240.13.10

10.1.10.10 is the server that holds the information to copy, and performs the copy job; 10.240.13.10 is the destination server. These two servers are connected via VPN.

class-map match-all DR_Flow_class

match access-group 120

policy-map DR_Policy_Map_DR

class DR_Flow_class

police 4000000 bps 4000000 byte conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

I would like to limit the bandwidth to a maximum transfer rate of 4 Mbps. Would the above command be the best method of limiting the bandwidth? What is the difference between the police 4000000 bps, and the 4000000 byte parameters?

By the way, the switch that these configs reside on is a Cisco 4507r running 12.2(25)EWA6.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

the bandwidth will be 4MB and the burst 8Kb

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

police 4000000 bps 8000 byte conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

this works

the 8000 above is the amount of burst for each packet sent so first one is the bandwidth limit second burst limit

good luck

if helpful Rate

Thanks for the info. Does the command that you wrote allow the transfer rate to burst to 8 Mbps? Am I reading that correctly? I do not want the transfer rate to go above 4 Mbps.

Thanks again!

the bandwidth will be 4MB and the burst 8Kb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card