Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP on 4948

claude1968
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

On 3750 Cisco switch, we have 32 group ID of HSRP maximum available... So, on a 4948 switch, what is the maximum group ID of HRSP available? 32 or more?

Thanks a lot

5 Replies 5

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

hi,

Catalyst 3750 12.2(25)SEE supports group numbers/ID from 0 to 255 , default being 0.

So as 4948 supports 0 to 255 group number/ID.

HTH..rate if helpful..

I don't understand. Sometimes I read this on cisco documentation...

How many HSRP groups does the Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series support?A.The Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series supports up to 32 HSRP groups.

Hi,

The 3750 supports just 32 distinct HSRP group numbers.

For example, if you use HSRP group numbers 10-41 on interface e0, then you cannot use group numbers 0-9 or 42-255 on any interfaces on the 3750. You are limited to group numbers 10-41 on all other interfaces.

The catalyst 4900 series has no such restrictions, and HSRP group numbers 0-255 can be used on any layer-3 interface.

Rgds,

Ian

Hi Ian,

You are telling us that any number (from 0 to 255) can be used (assigned) on any layer 3 interface and that is different to say: I have created, let´s say ...256 different VLANs each one with a VLANIF (layer 3 interface) ... can I create 256 different HSRP groups and assign them to each VLAN in order to deploy gateway high availability on each VLAN? ... maybe I can assign any number from 0 to 255 to any HSRP group, but what I think claude is asking is the maximun number of simultaneous HSRP groups that can be created on the Catalyst 4900. Is there a limit?

Hi,

For HSRP, there's no software limitation in configuring numbers of HSRP
groups as long as the cpu can handle the software switching hello
packets.

You could however enable HSRP version 2 which give support for 4096 groups.
The details about HSRP
version could be found at:

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gthsrpv2.htm
l>
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gthsrpv2.html

HTH

REgards

Inayath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card