Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAN C1242 AP be used as a WIRELESS BRIDGE

I have an AccessPoint Cisco 1242 that has no Ethernet connection available.

Is it possible to use one 802.11a interface of the neighbor Access Point as bridge so that the Access point without Ethernet connection can get a connection?

3 Replies 3

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, you can use the 802.11a radio to bridge out to another 1242, but you can only do this to one access point (no creating a Mesh environment with 1242s). It sounds like you'll be fine for what you want to do. The feature is called "link role flexibility", see if you can find some documentation on it.

I believe that you set the A radio on the "root" AP to root bridge, and you set the A radio on the "non-root" AP as WGB or Repeater. If someone could confirm this, that'd be great.

Also, I believe this can only be done in autonomous mode, so if you're using lightweight then you'll need to downgrade these two specific access points.

mcalabrese
Level 1
Level 1

yes this can be done ... I'm doing it right now. I replaced my old 350 Wireless bridges with two 1242AG APs ... I have recently updated the connection to use WPA/TKIP for the authentication. Email me and I'll send you a copy of my configurations ...

Hi mcalabrese

Can you sent me the configuration

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card