cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit Unity mailbox sizes

shanepresley
Level 1
Level 1

If you integrate unity with your exchange 2003 datastore, is it still possible to impose voicemail size limits? For example can I limit a user to X minutes of voicemail, or X megabytes? Or is it all controlled by exchange and the size of their user mailbox?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Shane,

Unity uses the mailbox size limits set in Exchange.

Here is an example for Exchange 2000

Understanding How Exchange 2000 Storage Limits Work with Cisco Unity

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00800faf0f.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The mailbox size limit is controlled by Exchange, message duration limit is controlled by Unity. You can also install Message Store Manager to manage retention policy:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MSM.htm

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris & Rob,

I was hoping I could enforce two policies....

-Limit the time a voicemail can be kept (90 days)

-Limit the total storage voicemails can use (50MB or whatever).

I wanted both those policies to be independant of my exchange user mailboxes (because we dont have retention policies for email, and our mailbox sizes are very large).

Sounds like MSM might help, I'll do some reading. Any other options? I assume if I kept it with Unity local storage (no exchange integration) then I can enable those limits?

-Limit the time a voicemail can be kept (90 days)

use Message Store Manager

-Limit the total storage voicemails can use (50MB or whatever).

use Exchange quota settings

Chris

"-Limit the total storage voicemails can use (50MB or whatever).

use Exchange quota settings "

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be possible to have a quota that affects voicemails but not e-mails? I'm not that familar with Exchange.

Nope, the quota is applied to mailbox and it's not aware of the mailbox content. You would need to make seperate mailboxes for email from voicemail, but that would not make it voicemail only deployment and not unified.

Chris

Can't find message store manager in unity version 5. Any suggestions?

Hi Hann,

You can download the tool here :)

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MSM.htm

Hope this helps!

Rob

in the tutorials, it mention that, it requires exchange 2000 or 5.5 What if I'm running exchange2003? Will it still work?

Hi Hann,

From the MSM Help (in the link I sent :)

Requirements/Special Notes

Requires Unity 3.1.0(1) or greater, running in a Microsoft Exchange 2000, Microsoft Exchange 2003, or Microsoft Exchange 5.5 environment.

The user account running MSM must be a local administrator on the Cisco Unity server.

The user account running MSM must be a Full Exchange Administrator for Microsoft Exchange 2000, Microsoft Exchange 2003, or and Administrator for Microsoft Exchange 5.5.

The user account running MSM must have Send-As and Receive-As rights on each Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 mail store the Message Store Manager is expected to act on. See Checking Mailstore Access.

Currently VM Mailbox Rule scripts are supported on Microsoft Exchange 2000 and Microsoft Exchange 2003.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks rob! the tutorial wasn't updated.

Hi Hann,

No worries my friend! There is alot of documentation here that is tough to update. I've always felt the docs and Tools for Unity and Unity Connection are some of the best on CCO.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: