cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot bring up 2 multilinks on 2801

rpomerleau
Level 1
Level 1

I can build out both multilinks, assign the serial interfaces to their respective groups, but I cannot get both up/up at the same time. If I were to unplug one set of serials, or shut down one of the Multilinks, the other will then come up. I cannot find anywhere on cisco if there are limitations for a 2801 to handle more than one multlink. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello there!

I had some problems myself related to a 2821 so maybe I can help. Can we see some config that you there?

On both ends you have 2800 series?

Cheers,

Calin

normang00
Level 1
Level 1

I have two multilink ppp interfaces running simultaneously on 2801's with no problem. Each has two T1's assigned to it. I know that there are some limits as to what queuing strategy you can use. I have fair-queuing disabled, and am using separate multilink bundle id's. Here is a sample config:

!

interface Multilink1

bandwidth 3072

ip address 10.x.y.z 255.255.255.252

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Multilink3

bandwidth 3072

ip address 10.w.x.y 255.255.255.252

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 3

!

interface Serial0/1/0

bandwidth 1536

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/1/1

bandwidth 1536

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/3/0

bandwidth 1536

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 3

!

interface Serial0/3/1

bandwidth 1536

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 3

!

Hi

can you post the output of show interface multilink and serial command ?

also are you seeing any error logs in your router when u plugin the links or when u disconnect the links ?

regds

Hello,

A nice hidden command is " sh ppp multilink internal"

Check to see who the box thinks the links are connected to.

Not sure if you got this resolved but you can always add the peer ip address to make sure the bundles do not get confused

as to who there suppose to be connected to

interface Multilink120

ip address x.x.x.1 255.255.255.0

peer default ip address x.x.x.2 ----- remote multilink ip address

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 120

interface Serial5/0/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 120

ppp timeout retry 1

Thx Steve

Thanks to all so far.

So, first off I had the cards in slot 1 and 2. So the only difference between mine and Norman's was the slots and the queuing. I adjusted the queuing first, still nothing.

I then swapped the cards to slots 1 and 3, redid the config to match the serials, still nothing I get the same responses when I "debug ppp multilink events.

*Sep 10 14:11:32.371: Se0/2/0:0 MLP: Request add link to bundle

*Sep 10 14:11:32.371: Se0/2/0:0 MLP: Adding link to bundle

*Sep 10 14:11:32.371: Se0/2/0:0 MLP: Bundle Mu3(Router) in different multilink group

*Sep 10 14:11:32.371: Se0/2/0:0 MLP: Link not added to bundle

Steve, your suggestion to add the peer address, didn't solve it either, but I was unaware of that command and going to include it.

I appreciate everyone's input, but it was decided to bring in a 2nd router to handle the second Multilink. Now I get to worry about failover between the 2. LOL

Thanks again, and if you happen to stumble across the answer, please post, as I might have a need for it down the road

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card