cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When upgrading a FT1 can I change timeslots ahead of the cut over?

mark.bryant
Level 1
Level 1

My company will be upgrading most of our data circuits to handle VoIP. Most locations have 384k fractional T1 circuits. The interfaces are currently setup with the command "service-module t1 timeslots 1-6". Can I change this to "service-module t1 timeslots 1-8" (for an upgrade to 512k) without the interface going down? My intent is to preconfigure the routers remotely so I do not have to make the change on site at cut over. Some of our locations are 6 hours away and the company is interested in keeping miles to a minimum. Anyone ever try this type of remote upgrade before and want to make suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mark Bryant

Eoff Electric Supply

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

To define timeslots that constitute a fractional T1/T1 (FT1/T1) channel, you may try using the syntax "service-module t1 timeslots {range | all} [speed {56 | 64}]".

Mark

I have not tried anything like changing the time slots ahead of time and so am not authoritative. But I would hesitate to make that change ahead of time. When you change the time slots you are changing the channels on the circuit that your router will process. You are telling your router to process channels that are not yet provisioned - or at least not provisioned FOR YOU at that time. There is no telling what you might get on the new channels - and no telling whether your data would become exposed to who ever is provisioned on those channels when you make the change.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card