Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Re-Install/Licensing question

jessakhanian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have to re-install a Unity server for one of our customers and have the following question. They're running Unity 4.2.1 in VM-only mode, using Win2K/Ex2K for OS/Mailstore. We have the Unity media for the re-install, but we are missing the platform configuration DVD's. We have our hands on Win2K3/Exc2k3 CD/DVD's. The question is can we do this install and have them loaded in a 2003 environment without any issues? They'll still be running Unity 4.2.1 and the same license file could be used. Does anybody see any issues with this? Also, it looks like the Exchange 2003 CD doesn't have any licnese key printed on its sleeve/cover, similar to how we've seen on the Exchange 2000 CD's. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Joseph

3 Replies 3

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have the option to use a regular copy of Windows 2000 or Windows 2003. I would make sure you have the key for it though. Unity can install on a PCD installed OS or the regular retail OS copy. Either way it would work.

Tray

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joseph -

For Unity 4.2(1) in VM-only mode, I don't believe you can install Exchange 2003 on the Unity server, only the management tool - see installation guide reference http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/405/installation/guide/cuevm2knf/IG_018.html

Exchange 2003 partner server will be required if you use Windows 2003 on the Unity server. Check your Microsoft Select agreement for software support. For example, an Enterprise license should allow you to install Exchange on a separate server and use the management tool on the Unity server. Also, I recommend using current OS maintenance - Windows 2003 SP2 and Exchange 2003 SP2.

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

I do have another customer who's running full Exchange 2003 on their 4.2.1 Unity server (VM-only), but their server is based on Widnows 2003, and not 2000. I know you can't run Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2000 server.

Thanks.

Joseph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: