Certification and College

Unanswered Question
Sep 8th, 2008

My son is in high school and is interested in a degree in networking and security. He is already taking some Cisco Networking Academy classes and will be able to have several certifications by the time he graduates H.S., namely, A+, Network +, Server +, CCNA, and PAI. He'll work a few small jobs with me on the side to get a little experience. However, I have no idea how to find out what colleges are better for Computer Security related degrees.

Do any of you have any recommendations for colleges here in the U.S. that have good computer security programs?

Thanks in advance,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dwgray0422 Tue, 09/09/2008 - 04:07

What does he want to do with Security? If he's interested in corporate IT Security a degree in MIS or Information Technology would be the way to go. Combine that with an MBA he could be CISO in just a few years. If he's looking to develop security products, he'd be better advised to study software engineering, and if he is looking to develop new methods of security a Math degree may be what he wants.

I would highly reccomend Stevens Institute in Hoboken, NJ for anyone interested in Technology. It is quite competitive however if you get into any of their programs you are prepared to be the best engineers around. For any of these programs a strong background in math and sciences is necessary and will provide a much stronger foundation than any certification.

bwjustice Tue, 09/09/2008 - 05:16

Thanks for the info. He is not too interested in programming - probably because of me... he's been interested in corporate IT security.

Do you recommend Stevens Institute because you've been there, had dealings with them, or another reason??? Just curious.

dwgray0422 Tue, 09/09/2008 - 05:58

I know quite a few people who went to Stevens, almost all of them run very successful IT companies. The ones who don't run their own companies are all top tier engineers. It is most important to understand theory first before worrying about application. Understanding how programs are designed and how information is exchanged between devices will make all the difference between a descent technician and an engineer/architect. A strong engineering background no matter what field will prepare him for IT engineering and Security.

p.s. I have a backgound in Chemical Engineering, and today am working as a Network Architect.

This Discussion