cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Power Supply

lm20ele
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to understand how two redundant power supplies work on a 4507R switch.

If I configure the switch to have two redundant power supplies (power redundancy-mode redundant) I believe only one power supply will work, this is, only onw power supply will be drawing the power to the modules and the other power supply is just waiting to as a backup if necessary but not drawing power to the chassis. In other words only one power supply holds the whole load or both power supplies balance the load? correct me if I'm wrong!!

If only one the power supplies hold the complete load how do I know which power supply is the one providing the power??

1 Reply 1

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

By default, a switch is set to Redundant mode. In the show power command, if the power supplies needed by system is 1, the switch is in Redundant mode; if the power supplies needed by system is 2, the switch is in combined mode.

So "show power" should show the power supply being used.

"show power supplies/status" are also useful commands..

HTH...rate if helpful..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card