cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 5: Changing subscriber's homed Exchange Server

ryabutler
Level 1
Level 1

How can I change the Exchange server that a subscriber is homed with?

For example, let's say we have 2 exchange servers, EXCH1 and EXCH2

Subscriber, jdoe, is homed to Exchange Server: EXCH1

His mailbox is moved to another Exchange server/mailstore, EXCH2

How can I change the subscriber, jdoe, homed Exchange server to EXCH2?

I couldn't find any specific docs on-line about this.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rashida,

Does Unity know about the new Exchange server? Specifically, when the Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration wizard was run, was the new mailstore checked? If it was, then there is nothing to do in Unity. If this is a new mailstore that was not selected when the wizard was run, then you would need to run the Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration wizard again, and this time check the new mailstore.

Unity essentially points to one partner exchange server, which serves as a gateway to the rest of the servers in the Exchange environment.

To launch the Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration wizard, follow these steps:

1. On the Windows Start menu, click Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

2. In the list of currently installed programs, click Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration Wizard, and click Change/Remove.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

It is Permissions Wizard where the mailstores and exchange servers are checked. Not MSCW.

You need to give the mailstores permissions in PW before they will show up in MSCWW.

Hope this help and if it does please rate.

Randy

Hello everyone, thanks for the responses on this. GREAT!

So, I believe that the Permission Wizard only creates the necessary permissions for the mailstore for Send-As and Receive-As rights.

But, if I run the MSCW that would be for the system and not for an individual subscriber right?

Basically I want to move one subscriber at a time to a new Exchange/MailStore. They are all in the same domain, but have multiple mailstores on these Exchange servers. Unity does know abut the other Exchanges through the partner Exchange server.

Under the subscriber settings it reflects, which Exchange server they are homed to. I can't modify that field to change the Exchange server that subscriber to homed to. It only displays it. How I can change that option for a particular subscriber?

Unless using MSCW will allow me to change the homed Exchange server to another one for that subscriber only and not others on the system.

Ideas?

Thanks a again guys!

If you are moving from Exchange 2003 to 2007, it will not work. If you are going from Exchange 2003 mailstore to 2003 mailstore, no problem. Just make sure Unity has access to those Exchange stores.

I having a brain fart right now, but I cant recall for sure if Unity 5.x has only rights to Exchange 2007 AND 2003, or when you are using 2007, you only can use 2007. Someone can probably fill in the blank.

Unity will automatically get the update from AD that the Subscriber has moved to the new Exchange store. The SA page you should see updated as well. If you try to leave a message for them and it you see errors in Unity 5.x about not connecting that store, you have to re-run permissions and Mailstore wizards. I have had issues migrating Exchange users from one platform to another. Even though the permissions and Mailstore wizard was ran, I had to rerun it everytime I moved someone over. (which does not affect Unity if you keep re-running it)

cheers

yes 2007 and 2003 can be used together with Unity 5x if the was the question.

I too had to run and re run both wizard each time I moved users.

rlp (go seahawks even though they lost)

Sorry, meant to give you 5.. what the f? anyways... go packers. ha

Here is what I thought though.. If you have Subscribers on an Exchange 2003 box and Subscribers on Exchange 2007 with (1) Unity server, this is not supported.

I thought Unity can be setup for 2000/2003 or 2007, not both.

Thanks!

All of our Exchange servers are 2003. From what was explained, if I run the PW and MSCW for the new mailstore on the new Exchange server, then move a subscriber to that mailstore then those changes would be reflected under the subscriber page on Unity SA portal dynamically. Right???

Another question, if both wizards are run that won't impact the Unity server and it's running services since it is a running production box?

Thanks again!