Helpful
Replies

modules in 6500

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have couple of doubts about 6500.

1. In 6500 there are 13 slots are available am i right and 2 sup's?

2. There are 9 modules comes with new switch rest of them for ours compatability am i right?

3. What is single mode & multi mode what is the purpose of those?

Can anybody explain about the modules like what are the GE's & GBICS?

Here my question is can we setup one sup for couple of modules another one for couple of modules is it possible?

Regards,

Naidu :-)

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Naidu,

1) In 6500 there are 13 slots are available am i right and 2 sup's?

in a 6513 chassis there 13 slots if using two supervisors two slots are used by them.

Supervisors have to be installed in some specific slots

2) if you have 9 modules you can install them if your power supplies can support all of them at the same time.

I didn't understand what you mean with "rest of them for ours compatability"

3) single and multimode refers to fiber communications: a single mode fiber has a smaller core (micrometers) and the ratio of diameter D and wavelength lambda is less then PI (3.1415) : so a single mode mode 0 will carry the signal.

in a multimode fiber the core is bigger and this allows for multiple modes: in this case signal energy is spread over multiple modes.

GBICs are small submodules that allow to adapt a single GE port to your needs: single mode or multimode and other variations of single mode.

At the two ends of a pair of fiber cables the two GBICs must be of the same type to get a working link

the tx fiber of sideA has to go to the rx side of sideB and viceversa.

4) As far as I know a single chassis cannot be partioned in this way: the second supervisor is there for redundancy that can be managed with different strategies (RPR, RPR+, SSO) but only one active supervisor and the second can be a cold standby or hot standby (with SSO)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply and well explaination about single mode and multimode.

1) I didn't understand what you mean with "rest of them for ours compatability"

I meant if we buy one 6500s with 9 modules and the rest of slots we can use in feature to install another modules.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hello Naidu,

yes in the future you can add other modules if the power budget allows it.

There are some specific exceptions but are related to service modules like CSM, FWSM and so on. Until we speak of modules that offer ports for connectivity the main concern is power.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

fyi:

The 6513 is a bit different from the other 6500s in that not all slots support 40 Gbps with a sup720. If you need to provide maximum performance, you need to use one of the smaller 6500s, e.g. 6509.

[edit]

PS:

Unsure I recall this correctly, but some line cards might not be supported in all 6513 slots.

Joseph

Just to confirm, yes you recall correctly. Slots 1 - 8 only support a single 20Gbps connection to the switch fabric so modules such as the WS-X6748-GE-TX which have dual 20Gbps connections must go in slots 9 - 13.

I agree with what you say, maximum performance rather than capacity would suggest a 6509 chassis to be a better choice.

Jon

Hi naidu,

This is satya working in LAN/WAN/Leased Lines and Wifi[fedility setups].

May i know which location ur working.

Regards

Satya.D

MPL

Voice:+919703080366,+919000311173

atrey2712
Level 1
Level 1

from what I recall, 6509VE chasis has all line cards vertically while 6509E has them horizontally. If you get the old 6509 chasis make sure you have correct power supply because sup32 and sup720 are incompatible with some old 6509 chasis power supply units. ideally if you are going for sup720 you should have 6509E chasis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: