Views
Helpful
Replies

RTP Sequence number jump

atimpanaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm troubleshooting an issue with monodirectional audio.

Looking at the rtp trace I noted that the very first rtp packets have sequence number 80 81 82 and the following have seq. number 0 1 2 3 ....

Is this the cause of my problem?

Is this admitted by the rfc or not?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

During compression of an RTP stream, a session context is defined. For each context, the session state is established and shared between the compressor and the decompressor. The context state consists of the full IP/UDP/RTP headers, a few first-order differential values, a link sequence number, a generation number, and a delta encoding table. Once the context state is established, compressed packets may be sent. It is admitted by RFC 2507

Sorry, but I cannot understand your answer.

I'm asking about rtp sequence number, not TCP.

Could you explain what you meant?

Thanks.

In which direction do you see this jump? Do the users report that they have two-way audio at the beginning of a call, but lose either the send or receive stream at some point?

What you describe could conceivably cause an RTP stream to fail, although I've never seen that happen. One-way audio is much more likely an ACL issue or routing problem with binding the wrong source interface address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: