cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

per vlan routing on 6509

softwareadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone tell me if I can have seperate routes setup on a per vlan basis on a 6509 running in native mode (12.2 IOS). I'd like to setup something like "virtual router 1" for vlan 2 and "virtual router 2" for vlan 3..etc..

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi.

You are right, MPLS VPNs are a bit too much if thats all you need.

PBR is probably your best bet. It would look something like this:

interface VLAN2

ip policy route-map VLAN2_MAP

!

interface VLAN3

ip policy route-map VLAN3_MAP

!

route-map VLAN2_MAP permit 10

set ip next-hop 10.1.1.1

!

route-map VLAN3_MAP permit 10

set ip next-hop 10.1.1.2

The example config above will send everything in VLAN2 to next hop 10.1.1.1 and everything in VLAN3 to next hop 10.1.1.2, hope that's the kind of thing you are after?

Simon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

simontibbitts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

MPLS VPNs will do this if your hardware supports it. It will give you a different VRF for each VLAN.

Perhaps a simpler setup for you would be policy routing if you just want each VLAN to be routed differently?

Simon

Hi Simon,

What I've done is cosolidate a stack of switches (a few for our production environment and one for our coporate side) into the one core 6509. Each side, corporate and production, have a seperate firewall and internet connection. On this 6509 I've configured vlans for corp and prod and an SVI for both. I'd like to plug in my devices and point them to the SVI of their vlan as a gateway. Then let the 6509 route the traffic out the right firewall.

So it sounds like the policy routing is what I should be focusing on, correct?

As for the MPLS VPNs, I think that will be more than I need. I looked at them some, but do not need a VPN for this traffic.

BTW - I've got:

-sup720

-6748-GE-TX's

Thanks

Hi.

You are right, MPLS VPNs are a bit too much if thats all you need.

PBR is probably your best bet. It would look something like this:

interface VLAN2

ip policy route-map VLAN2_MAP

!

interface VLAN3

ip policy route-map VLAN3_MAP

!

route-map VLAN2_MAP permit 10

set ip next-hop 10.1.1.1

!

route-map VLAN3_MAP permit 10

set ip next-hop 10.1.1.2

The example config above will send everything in VLAN2 to next hop 10.1.1.1 and everything in VLAN3 to next hop 10.1.1.2, hope that's the kind of thing you are after?

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card