cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VSS IOS Requirements

jason.edelman
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know why Advanced IP Services IOS is required when configuring a 6500 with Dual 10G VSS 1440 Supervisors? IOS Base is allowed for a single supervisor, but not dual sup.

I'm just curious why this requirement is put in place when purchasing a 6500.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

The versions that support VSS according to Feature Navigator (http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp)are:

ADV ENT SERV SSH LAN ONLY

ADV IP SERV SSH LAN ONLY

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES SSH

ADVANCED IP SERVICES

IP SERVICES SSH

IP SERVICES

From what I remember Dual Sups (Two sups for each chassis = 4 Total sups) on VSS wasn't supported yet. 1 Sup per chassis = 2 Total for VSS does work. From the product literature dual sups per chasss would be available in an upcoming release.

As for why IP Base doesn't support it? They want to make sure they're compensated for all the bells and whistles. IP Base is the most stripped down IOS you can run.

HTH,

JB

Hello all,

Anybody knows when will be supported dual supervisor with VSS? At the end of this year? At the beginning of 2009?

Thanks for all,

Bye,

Hello all,

Anybody knows when will be supported dual supervisor with VSS? At the end of this year? At the beginning of 2009?

Thanks for all,

Bye,

Hello all,

Thanks for all,

Bye,

Hello all,

Thanks for all,

Bye,

Hello,

Last I checked, there doesn't seem to be redundant supervisor support with VSS. VSS is redundant with a completely separate chassis and sup module, so having 4 sups for two chassis (where it only acts as one) is a bit overkill. This breaks the traditional two sup per chassis model, however you have one switch with two sups already, they're just riding in different chassis.

Hope this helps,

JB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card