Route Redistribution into RIP

Unanswered Question
Sep 9th, 2008

I set a home lab as illustrated in the topology (screenshot.jpg).

In the accompanying book, it says that, after redistributing and into RIP, there should not be a RIP route. It says that it's due to the default seed metric value.

However, in my lab, I could see a RIP route on router R2.

As for redistribution, I did the following under R1:

"router rip

redistribute ospf 1

redistribute connected1

Is there something wrong with my redistribution?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 09/09/2008 - 09:48

Hello Wassim,

the route you see on R2 is that is the major network to which subnets and belong.

RIP has the auto-summary feature so on major network boundary the major network is advertised for the presence or redistibute connected.

If you disable auto summary with

router rip

no auto-summary

you should see net only, probably the seed metric is required when redistributing from a dynamic routing protocol and so red connected and may be red static are an exception to this rule.

to see this remove also the red connected inside the rip process without defining a seed metric: if no network command is present on R2 also the subnet should disappear.

when you set a seed metric for ospf 1 redistribution into rip or simply you use:

default-metric 2

the ospf subnets should appear

Hope to help

ccnpninja Wed, 09/10/2008 - 07:35

yes indeed, it was the major network advertised by RIP on R1.

I did a little search about redistributing into RIP and here's the rule:

by default, every route redistributed into RIP has a seed metric value of Infinity, EXCEPT for static or connected routes. These ones enter with a seed metric of 1 by default.

The OSPF route doesn't appear in R2's routing table because of Infinity.

As you mentioned, Giuseppe, I need to specify either a seed metric default value (for all redistributed routes) or a seed metric within the "redistribute" command for OSPF

This Discussion