Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant path to internet using 3750G

subra4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please have a look at the attachment before we start.

We were only connected to ISP A all along and running BGP (though no full routes learned) for Tx/Rx'ing traffic for Network C.C.C.C.

Now we have a backup link ISP B to the internet getting directly terminating on the 3750G. Both ISP A & B are 1 Gb links.

Now with this setup, can we achieve full redundacy (ISP A or link or Cisco 7200 router failure) by re routing the traffic via ISP B. We can not learn the full routes on the cisco 3750G due to the memory limitation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Subra

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Subra

You can run ospf between the switch and the router and announce default route from the router using default route originate command and ensure that you have your traffic flow via primary link.

define a floating static route in the switch pointing towards the router with higher admin distance so that the it can be treated as backup link.

do a as path prepend in the BGP neighborship to the secondary ISP to make sure that you have symmetric traffic flow through single isp during normal condition.

Note : This is just a workaround and i dont think its a best practice to do so.

regds

Hi,

Thanks for the Input.

Will this solution help me route packets to/from internet when there is a ISP A failure (meaning ISP A cant reach the internet for some reason). If not, what could be possibly done.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Sundar

For reduandant ISP setup, i will recommend to use router like 3845/7200..

Don't use Catalyst 3750G for this kind of setup.

Hi,

We are trying to use the existing Hardware. Thanks anyway.

Regards

Subra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card