cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS archive through SFTP

dougnotini
Level 1
Level 1

Could you tell me which models and versions support Data archiving through SFTP in addition to NFS? I came across this in 6.0 release doc on Cisco's web site. I have a MARS 20 running 4.3.4 and I don't see anywhere in the GUI or CLI to config SFTP. Is it available only to GEN2 appliances or will it be available to GEN1 and GEN2 once they are running 6.0?

7 Replies 7

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

It must be a 6.x feature, because it doesn't exist in 5.x.

I did find that there is an option for using SFTP from the CLI when using pnexp to manually export the configuration. But outside of that I don't see it anywhere else. Is it the same in 5.3.x code?

Yes I've seen it as a CLI option in the 'pnexp' CLI command mode. The GUI only supports NFS AFAIK. I think I've seen it on both Gen1/Gen2 appliances.

Regards

Farrukh

I assume your original question was referring to the normal archive configuration, but I must say had forgotten about that command. As I understand it, those commands were primarily created to support exporting data from a gen1 appliance running 4.x to a gen2 appliance running 5.x. So, you will only find the pnexp command on Mars 4.x and you will only find pnimp on Mars 5.x. I'm not sure if the exported data is the same as the normal archive. For example, can you use pnexp manually and then at a later data do a pnrestore from it using the same box?

As per the Cisco Press book by Gary/Greg you can:

"You cannot use the pnrestore command to migrate to a lower-capacity MARS appliance.

At the current time, you cannot restore to anything but the same-capacity appliance or

larger. Also, you should calculate the date from which to begin the restoration. The

pnrestore command doesn't currently allow for calculating whether the new appliance can

store all the events being restored to it"

Regards

Farrukh

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say Farrukh, but that doesn't seem to speak to the whether pnrestore can be used on data exported with pnexp. FWIW, since this doesn't won't work on the gen2 appliance (there is no pnexp command) then it's somewhat of a pointless discussion.

Yes my original question was referring to normal archive, I just wanted to jog your memory about this option in hopes of turning up some additional info. I am happy to get the additional info on migration from GEN1 to GEN2. Thanks.