cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many VRF's can be configured on a 6500 Sup720-3B?

vdadlaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Are there any guidelines on the number of VRF's that can be configured on a particular platform and what is the impact of running a BGP context per VRF.

In particular I am looking to get information on the Cat 6K platform and the following questions

Is there a limitation on the number of VRF's that can be configured on a 6500 Sup720-3B?

2. If there is a BGP context(Only one AS but a separate neighbor)per VRF and say there are about 110 vrf's does this mean that there are a 110 BGP processes since every vrf has its own routing context/process?

What is the impact of the above on the Cat 6K Sup720-3B?

Thanks for your help.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The total number of VRFs that are supported by Sup-720-3B and any other Sup is 1024.

see below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a0080159856_ps2797_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH

Reza

vrf on 6500 SUB720-3B: maximum 1024

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/product_data_sheet0900aecd8057f3b6.html

Ther will be only one BGP process (show process) if I understand correct

Also be aware of maximum number of routes: SUP720-3B: 256000. IPv4 192k standard, needs to be reconfigured to be used up to 236k. Cannot be used with full BGP table

Hi Reza and John,

Thank you so much for responding to my query. The way I understood it was

that for every VRF the BGP context will be treated as a separate process

even though its actually under the same global router bgp process. Is there

a limitation on the number of BGP contexts. I would assume that it would

match the number of VRF's which as both of you directed me to is 1024. That

would be perfect however just want to confirm that the Sup720-3B would be

able to handle approx 200 contexts and neighbors. The number might be a lot

less. The routes received from each of these neighbors won't be an issue at

all. Thanks

I am sure you are ging to be Ok with 200 VRFs.

maximum 1024 VRFs is not a bad number, but that is an area Cisco always has been limited compare to other venders like Juniper.

The Juniper MX960 supports up to 100,000 VRFs

Thanks,

Reza

Hi Reza,

Thank you for your response. Could you please confirm if there is a limitation on how many vrf eBGP neighbors can be configured. I plan on doing 1 per vrf hence it would come upto a total 200 eBGP neighbors. Is every vrf eBGP process treated as a independant process even though it is under the same global BGP process. Thx

Can someone please help? Thx

They are not independent processes since BGP is global and has one daemon. The only limitation would be the number of routes per VRF, so if you have Sup720-3B, that can handle a maximum of 256000, so if you have 2 vrfs with 128000 routes, then that is all the vrfs you can have, but if you have 200 vrfs with 100 routes in each, then I don't see any problem here. Also the type box with the amount of memory can affect the processing time.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: