cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

discovery

mohsin.khan
Level 3
Level 3

I am amzed to see one of my 6500 listed automtically in security and monitor devices, as discovery was on for daily basis but it was not being discovered for like past 30 days (when i first bootstrapped it) and now today, without any addional configuration (on switch or ASA), switch is discovered.

I have an ASA in front of this switch, and had allowed UDP ports for MARS, and last day i was thinking to open IP for it, to get this switch discovered, but it got done automatically.

Amazingly, the redundant switch has not been discovered yet, having same bootstrap config and same subnet (as of switch).

I believe this works on CDP, and SNMP, nothing more, then why is it acting like that?

Mohsin

2 Replies 2

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

MARS uses SNMP v. 1 to perform device discovery. If MARS is unable to discover a device and you are sure that the configuration settings are correct, verify that the device is not expecting the authentication from MARS to occur over an encrypted channel.

The following URL may help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/4.3/user/guide/local_controller/cfgover.html#wp1202331

Can you explain "verify that the device is not expecting the authentication from MARS to occur over an encrypted channel. "

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: