cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of Permissions Wizard and Mail Store Configuration Wizard

ryabutler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello this is a follow-up with a question I wanted to know from a different posting.

If I run both wizards (Permissions Wizard, and Mail Store Configuration Wizard) because I will be adding a new Exchange server/mail store that it won't impact the Unity server current configuration and it's running services since it is a running production box?

And any dangers and considerations are welcomed.

Also is there a way to run a report or know what was setup from the last time the last two wizards were run?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

thfergus
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are only adding a new Microsoft Exchange server and not changing the Unity partner mailstore ( the mailstore where the unity_servername mailbox is located ), you are not required to run the message store configuration wizard.

If you are using the latest version of the Unity Permissions Wizard ( recommended ), you can select the option to report on current permissions which were set by the permissions wizard.

These are the permissions set by the permissions wizard:

The Permissions wizard sets the permissions that Cisco Unity requires for the following accounts:

The account that you will use to install Cisco Unity.

The account that Cisco Unity directory services will log on as.

The account that Cisco Unity message store services will log on as.

http://ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/PW501/PWHelpPermissionsSet_ENU.htm

To add to thfergus, this only needs PW as the partner server you already partner with will have a connection to any mailboxes on the new Exchange for delivery and lookup. The only thing you need to add is the Unity permissions which is accomplished with PW.

Tray

Thanks for the answers on this. My concern really is if I run either wizard would that impact my existing permissions and configuration on Cisco Unity?

Thank you

Hi,

You can use the permissions wizard to run a report on the existing Exchange/AD permissions. Then use it to verify the config.

Running the permissions wizard will obviously impact your existing permissions however I suspect many of them haven't changed. Basically it confirms the service accounts used by Unity, then writes the permissions to the mailstores/mail accounts. If the permissions are already in place it will just verify them.

Other than the performance of the server (you may notice slow performance whilst the wizards complete) you shouldn't have any issues at all...

Please rate useful posts...