- Silver, 250 points or more
I have a question regarding Transcoders- when to use them
If you have a remote site with G711 in the local site but G729 between the sites
1. The handset advertises the possible Codecs it can use including G711& G729, G722 etc as some of the options. If the call is now between two sites which forces the call to use G729 - is there any transcoders involved since the phones can respond to G729 ?
2. If you now add Unity in to equation, I understand that you have configured it for either G711 or G729 or both but the Prompts are G711, Unity can do transcoding in S/W but is CPU intensive so you may need a transcoder correct ?
3. Can Unity play the prompts in G729 so in theory would there be no need for a transcoder as the prompts are already G729 fro both LAN and WAN based calls- what is the quality of the voice prompts like?
4. If you use conferencing between two phones on the same site i.e. G711 , If you now conference in an external PSTN user do you need a transcoder ?
5. If you repeat the above conference but now with another Site G729, G711-Internal and an external PSTN caller do you need a transcoder?
Lots of questions but many thanks