cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird error message in Unity Connection - Email Notifications

chadlincoln
Level 3
Level 3

I went to a user, notifications, email, and put in the email address and enabled it. I click save and get this message "The specified SMTP address cannot be in the VMS domain." I searched and didn't see anything here on the forums about it and googled it and didn't find anything either. Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chad,

Is the domain name of the email address you are specifying the same as the domain name that the server is using? For this to work, the email address should be in a different domain than the one that the Unity Connection server is in.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

So if the SMTP configuration of Unity Connection is in the same SMTP domain as the users, they can't receive email notifications if their address is in the same domain?

Thats correct, Chad. The quickest workaround in this case is to change the domain name on the UC server. In your case, did you get the opportunity to confirm that email addresses using different domain names can indeed be saved?

Thanks,

Michael.

Ya, other email addresses could be saved. This is completely ridiculous that you can't email people in the same domain. I'll change the domain and see what happens.

I'm running into this same error on unity connection version 8.5. What on earth is the requirement for them to be in differant domains? What is the workaround to get a notification email and unitys smtp domain to be the same.

Did anyone come up with a reasonable workaround?  I am now running into this.

And yes, this limitation is 100% silly.

negative. Although you can utilize the Message Actions feature to Relay a message to an email. This feature does not have the domain limitation.

Groovy.  Thanks for following up!  I will give this a shot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: