cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Permission Denied Upgrading IOS

gdrandles
Level 1
Level 1

I received a replacement switch from Cisco. There wasn't enough memory to hold the current IOS and the IOS I needed to upgrade to so I deleted the old IOS from flash. At the end of the TFTP of the new IOS it errored out saying the file was corrupted. I tried this with different IOS versions with no luck. The switch locked up and I had to reboot it. Of course there is no IOS so it booted to ROMON mode. When I try to use xmodem I get the error message "permission denied."

6 Replies 6

atrey2712
Level 1
Level 1

have you tried using a .tar file instead of .bin for the IOS code on that switch with xmodem? copy xmodem: flash:cxxxx.xxx.xxx.tar

The switch is a 3550 so I downloaded c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE2.tar to try with xmodem with the same results. If I use "copy xmodem: flash:c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE2.tar" it prompts me with the "Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now..." I then click send file, choose the tar file, select xmodem as the protocol. The xmodem file transfer window opens and I get 1 packet and then the retries count from 1 to 9 when it times out with an error "error limit exceeded." The prompt on the CLI is I/O error. I have tried from 2 different computers and different roll over cables.

Try deleting existing images in rommon before the transfer. It seems that the flash is full and will not accept a transfer. Also .tar files are not bootable images. TAR files are meant to be extracted into flash because there are multiple files and the IOS in .bin format is included in the tar file. You will need to copy an IOS that has the .bin format.

Is this a 3550 or 3550XL? There is a big difference between the two.

if that is the case then try erasing flash and get a binary file for the Catalyst 3550 code and try the same thing.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

George,

What kind of switch is this? Here is a guide for the 2900/3550XL switches. If this is not correct let me know.

http://www.stchas.edu/faculty/mcse-cisco/cisco/Images/Switches/2900XL/Directions.pdf

HTH,

Mark

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card