What is a Guest LAN?

Unanswered Question
Sep 10th, 2008

My company is currently in the process of creating a guest wireless ssid for vendors. I have already created the VLAN on our network and configured it with an ACL so that it can only get to the internet and no where else.

I am now going through creating an interface on my lwapp controllers and there is a check box that says "Guest LAN". Now the guide that I am using to configure my controllers is for an older version of WCS (I can't find one for 5.1). And they do not check the Guest LAN.

I am just curious as to what this setting actually does.

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Wed, 09/10/2008 - 13:52

What version of WLC code are you running. The guest lan is for wired guest. You don't need to check that if you are creating a wireless guest access.

wesleyterry Thu, 11/20/2008 - 22:16

It has been a few months since I looked in to this and I never got around to implementing it, but I'll see if I can help any.

This "Guest LAN" allows you to use your Wireless Controllers as an anchor point for Wired Users.

When I was looking in to this, I was going to anchor a Layer 2 VLAN to an internal controller and have that controller anchor those clients to my DMZ Controller just like I do with my "wireless guest" access.

In theory it allows the Wireless Controller to pick up your Wired clients and treat them like your Wireless clients.

So, trunk an unrouted VLAN into that controller and let the controller do the dirty work....

I'm going to create a post on this in the general forum about an idea I once had with this....

Actions

This Discussion