cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices showing up as "Unreachable Devices" in Device Discovery

simon.bell
Level 1
Level 1

We have over 130 devices showing up as "Unreachable Devices" in Device Discovery of which, 60 are live and active hosts that should be discoverable. I've gone through and verified each device is online and that the credentials defined in CW work on

the device.

Anyone have some thoughts as to why they're not getting added?

Configuration:

LMS3.1

ACS Integrated

Windows Version (Win2k3 server)

TIA

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The devices could either be filtered, or not added as clients of the ACS server.

I've checked and neither is the case. There aren't any filters defined for the devices and they're all configured in ACS.

What else can i check? I was thinking of enabling debugging and looking to see what was being seeing from CW when hitting those devices but wasn't sure which settings to turn on.

You can enable Data Collector, Discovery DeviceInfo, Discovery Framework, and System Module debugging.

Thanks Joe, I'll give those a shot and report the results. FYI SR 609546943 has been opened.

With all four modules enabled device collection didn't finish after 10 hours and had created a 1.4gb log file. For some reason the server unexpectedly rebooted over night and started a new collection around 7am this morning. Is there a better set of debugging modules we can enable to test with? It appears to take 5-7 times longer to do a discovery with the ones we have enabled. I also noticed that if i do a simple snmp walk from device center I have to retype my snmp RO string. Could this problem be related?

Have you tried device centers' "Management Station to Device" with packet capture on with the appropriate protocols and credentials selected ?

I did an snmp walk on the device with packet capture enabled this showed me that it was using the wrong snmp string. Not sure if it's suppose to or not, but that's what made me try changing it in discovery settings.

Humm, not sure if this is a known issue or not, but i rekeyed the snmp string being used under discovery settings and it started pulling the devices in. Not sure if it lost it from the upgrade or what.

thanks for your help tho.

simon

These debugging modules are the best ones to use. If you have to re-enter your SNMP credentials for SNMP Walk, then you most likely have wrong credentials in DCR. If a device already exists in DCR, Discovery will use those credentials. Therefore, check DCR to make sure the credentials are correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: