Choosing a firewall

Unanswered Question
Sep 10th, 2008
User Badges:

I work for a video conferencing company and we are looking to get a new firewall as our current Adtran firewall has some issues with a certain codec.

We are a small company that is trying to keep it cheap but I also don't want to waste time on something that won't work for us. I've kind of narrowed it down to

ASA5505-UL-BUN-K9

and

ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9.

The only difference I can seem to find is that the ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9 offers 15 less IPSec VPN Peers. The price difference is $350 though and I can't wrap my head around 15 IPSec peers being worth $350. Is there something else obvious I'm missing? We won't have a need for those extra peers so should I just grab the ASA5505-UL-BUN-K9?

Thanks.

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
suschoud Wed, 09/10/2008 - 09:58
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi,

I would recommend to look at long term consequences rather then existing ones.You never know when your setup could need more ipsec peers ( which would essentially result in migration to another device again )....

What you are missing by paying 350$ less ( other then ipsec peers.... :)

DMZ support, Stateless Active/Standby high availability, Dual ISP support.

So,you can have a dmz with this license,you can add one more asa for high availability and you can have 2 isp's terminating on asa so thatr if one fails,other one takes over automatically.

Please rate if helpful/

HTH,

Sushil

Regards,

Sushil

Actions

This Discussion