cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

powering down core switches

graves_toby
Level 1
Level 1

I am powering down my core swithces this weekend, but the edge switches will remain up, how will this affect my edge switches, besides segmenting the vsan's...my email application is on the edge switches will this disrupt email traffic?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's a good question. Unless the zoneset is extremely large, or you have a good reason for the edges to not contain the full zoneset, I recommend that distribute full zoneset be enabled on each switch for each VSAN. This way, you are not relying on the cores only to contain the full zoneset. It would be a good idea to back up the zoneset database for each VSAN from the core, if they are currently where the zoning was performed from.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the email host and storage are all on the same edge, then there should be no impact. If the storage for the email server is reached across the core switches, then it will be impacted. Yes, the VSANs will be segmented, but that should pose no problems to applications contained solely on an edge should see no impact. I would recommend saving the configuration on the core switches before powering down.

Thanks for your quick response,

one more thing should the full zoneset be distributed to all the switches before the cores are powered down, if automatic fullzone set distribution is not enabled.

That's a good question. Unless the zoneset is extremely large, or you have a good reason for the edges to not contain the full zoneset, I recommend that distribute full zoneset be enabled on each switch for each VSAN. This way, you are not relying on the cores only to contain the full zoneset. It would be a good idea to back up the zoneset database for each VSAN from the core, if they are currently where the zoning was performed from.

Thank you very much for your help..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: