IP SLA question

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Good day Friends,

I have the below network setup

Corporate Router -> Dsl modem -> Telco cloud -> Head Quarters

As a backup, we have ISDN link.

Now,we have setup IP SLA track to use ICMP echo to ping a server in headquaters. And if there is no reply, to trigger the ISDN.

Now the problem is, since we are using DSL connection, out of 15 or 20 pings, there is 1 timeout even though the connection is up. IP SLA just considers this 1 timeout and triggers the ISDN thinking that the DSL link is down.

So i am looking for a way in which IP SLA considers about 3-10 timeouts before triggering the backup ISDN.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Regards,

Manoj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You need to use the 'track' feature also.

track 123 rtr 1 reachability

delay down 120 up 60

!

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

!

120/60 are in seconds.

With teh above statement, incase if the A.B.C.D not available for 2Mins, it will take backup backup path. When A.B.C.D reachable again , in 1Min, it fall back to original path.

hth

Thank you

MS

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

cant you sets the amount of time an IP SLAs operation waits for a response from its request packet in timeout milliseconds

Example:

Router(config-sla-monitor-echo)# timeout 10000

Hi,

I have the below config setup on the router

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho A.B.C.D

timeout 1000

threshold 2

frequency 3

Even after making alterations in the timeout and frequent, am still facing the same problem. ISDN still triggers.

My requirement is if there is consecutive 3 or 5 packet drops, only then the router should consider DSL to be down and trigger ISDN. I tested with the below two commands too but still seem no luck. Any further suggestions please.

ip sla reaction-configuration 2 react timeout threshold-type consecutive action-type trapOnly

ip sla reaction-configuration 2 react connectionLoss threshold-type xOfy 5 10 action-type trapOnly

Regards,

Manoj

Hi,

You need to use the 'track' feature also.

track 123 rtr 1 reachability

delay down 120 up 60

!

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

!

120/60 are in seconds.

With teh above statement, incase if the A.B.C.D not available for 2Mins, it will take backup backup path. When A.B.C.D reachable again , in 1Min, it fall back to original path.

hth

Thank you

MS

Hi MS,

Apologize for my late reply. Your solution has made wonders to a long time pending issue. We implemented this and monitored for a week and this perfectly meets our requirements. Thanks a lot for your solution and truly appreciate your time. Cheers!!

Regards,

Manoj

Hi,

I have the same problem. Where do I put the track option?.

This is my configuration:

default route ATM

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 atm0.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1 track 123

the route dialer1 is the backup

is correct?

regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: