cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones connected over WAN disconnected

K_require
Level 1
Level 1

we have IP phones at remote place from CCM cluster connected over IP WAN. These phones get automatically rebooted atleast once in a day. Network team searched for the error logs on WAN link and on switches & all devices on the path but no logs found. On CCM, no other error than transient connection is found. Any other possibility?

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The phones have a "heartbeat" to CUCM. If they loose connection to CUCM they will fall into "registering...." on the screen. If the phones are hard restarting, it's the a Power problem. (POE, etc)

Thanks. Can you send me the link on the heartbeat between IP Phone and CUCM? Also, I can see in status message in network statistics as "TCP-Timeout"; can you let me know about more status messages?

Sorry, should have said keep alives instead of heartbeats.

see this thread: http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cbf3f50

Are all the phones falling into "registering" mode when they lose connection?

Yes. All phones get hard booted

Check the Switch they are on first to make sure you are not getting some kind of Power problem before you go and trace out the whole network for keep alives, etc. If it's a simple POE problem with the switch, that is the problem.

Turn on SNMP on the switch they are plugged into and log the traps. If it is a POE issue, you should see either the switch rebooting or POE messages, etc.

If the phones have power bricks, then it might be different. bricks will not typically cause hard reboots of IP phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: