cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 6500 line cards be used in a 7600 Chassis?

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use shelf spare 6500 modules in my 7600 chassis. Can I do it?

Thanks!

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matthew,

for linecards with a DFC submodule the DFC model must be the same as that of the main cpu for example you need DFC 3B if you have SUP 720 3B.

some linecards have older DFC and cannot be upgraded to DFC 3, DFC 3B, DFC 3BXL, DFC 3CXL and so on these modules can be a problem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

what is the model number of the part ??

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matthew,

for linecards with a DFC submodule the DFC model must be the same as that of the main cpu for example you need DFC 3B if you have SUP 720 3B.

some linecards have older DFC and cannot be upgraded to DFC 3, DFC 3B, DFC 3BXL, DFC 3CXL and so on these modules can be a problem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

I'm afraid I have to disagree on this one.

Let's take the 6708-10GE data sheet for example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a00801dce34_ps4835_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Supervisor Engines Supported:

Virtual Switching Supervisor Engine 720-10G or Supervisor Engine 720 with any PFC (chassis will work in lowest common denominator mode)

I go with Jerry on this one. The answer depends on each module in question. Best to hit cisco.com and verify the module's data sheet for hardware support.

__

Edison.

Hello Edison,

thanks for your correction.

the sentence should be rewritten as:

for optimal performance the DFC submodule should match the PFC type.

Actually I have this linecard installed on several chassis with 720 3B and it provides a warning that its DFC 3C is more advanced then the PFC but it will work at the current system performance.

However, on sup 720 chassis DFC less then DFC3 are not accepted we had a case recently in production network and also a thread in the forum I think.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Edison,

I need your advise on something i am doing. How can i conact you?

Thanks.

Francisco.

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the IOS version and type of line card.

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card