Views
Helpful
Replies

Web Content Filtering / Virus Scanning appliance

brenteverett
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a content / url / virus scanning device for our network. We are currently using MXLogic's Web Defense service and while it's very cheap it is not suiting our needs. What I'm looking for is an appliance that will do content filtering but also virus / malware / spyware scanning on web traffic. I'd also need to be able to setup policies / groups for different set's of users. For instance the folks who purchase the products we sell need to be able to see our vendors media (streaming video) content while our sales folks don't. I can't currently do this with MXLogic, it's all or nothing.

Our firewall is an ASA5510 and I've looked at the Content Security SSM-10 module with the plus license and while the pricing is definitely attractive I have a few questions about it. Does it integrate with MS Active Directory? In other words and it filter based on groups and policies or is it more IP / ACL based? Also does it perform well?

I've also looked at the IronPort product cisco sell's and have similar questions regarding that mainly what are folks experience with it, is it something you would recommend?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Allen,

To answer your questions related to the CSC module:

1. No, the CSC module does not integrate with Active Directory. This is something that Trend Micro has in the works, but as of now there is no ETA for this functionality.

2. The CSC module will perform fairly well if used in the environment it was designed for. I would recommend taking a look at the CSC sizing guide to see if the CSC-SSM-10 would be something that is scalable enough for your network:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_white_paper0900aecd805c3cd6.html

I cannot speak to the performance/functionality of IronPort as I have not used it personally, but I have heard good things. Also, external appliances from Websense seem to be a popular choice when you need a product that is a bit more scalable or granular than what the CSC module can provide.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Allen,

To answer your questions related to the CSC module:

1. No, the CSC module does not integrate with Active Directory. This is something that Trend Micro has in the works, but as of now there is no ETA for this functionality.

2. The CSC module will perform fairly well if used in the environment it was designed for. I would recommend taking a look at the CSC sizing guide to see if the CSC-SSM-10 would be something that is scalable enough for your network:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_white_paper0900aecd805c3cd6.html

I cannot speak to the performance/functionality of IronPort as I have not used it personally, but I have heard good things. Also, external appliances from Websense seem to be a popular choice when you need a product that is a bit more scalable or granular than what the CSC module can provide.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Ah, ok. The solution we are currently using has an active directory integration module however we have been unable to get it to work and the capabilities of that have been sorely missed. I'll look at the IronPort solution or somewhere else like Websense. thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: