Views
Helpful
Replies

Primary/secondary RADIUS server

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hey all,

I've been trying to discover for a while how primary and secondary RADIUS servers work on WLC 4400s. If the primary RADIUS server goes down, and the secondary is used, at what point does the controller go back to the primary once it's back up? Does it wait until the secondary goes down, or does it immediately switch back to the primary once it becomes available?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On 4.2 and previous versions, if the primary goes down, then the secondary is used until the secondary is not available. So if you want to froce the primay to be the radius server to be used, reboot the secondary. Then the tertiary then back to the primary. 5.0 has a feature in which you can set a keep alive so that when the primary comes back up, the primary will be used again. 5.0 code in not a good code version though.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On 4.2 and previous versions, if the primary goes down, then the secondary is used until the secondary is not available. So if you want to froce the primay to be the radius server to be used, reboot the secondary. Then the tertiary then back to the primary. 5.0 has a feature in which you can set a keep alive so that when the primary comes back up, the primary will be used again. 5.0 code in not a good code version though.

-Scott

I seem to hear a lot about how bad 5.0 code is. Either way, that definitely helps a lot. Thanks!

5.1 is out for a month.

I have 700 radios on it. No problems so far and it has corrected issues I saw with 5.0.

Especially with voice.

That is good to know.... we are still testing that code. What are you running 5.1 on? WiSM's and type of AP's?

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card