Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS to CATOS migration

subharojdahal
Level 1
Level 1

hello folks

I have 5 distribution/core switches running CatOS. I am trying to migrate them into IOS, infact changing whole supervisor engine with IOS firmware on it. Most of my data closet switch( access layer) running CatOs. Does it affects the the access layer switch if i migrate all of my core switch into IOS considering I change my configration too.

All the access layer swithes running CATOS are connected directly with either one or two of core switche.

Please advise

thnx

subharose

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Subharose

Without a detailed knowledge of your setup this can only be a generic answer but there should be no trouble having your core/distro switches running IOS and your access-layer switches running CatOS. At the last place i worked this was quite a common setup for us.

Jon

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It should not affecting your access layer switches. I am assuming you've migrate the CatOS config to IOS correctly, and also assuming all your line cards boot up correctly.

Here is a link to a config conversion utility:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080816fbc.shtml

HTH,

jerry

thanks jon

thanks jerry

jerry,

What do you mean line cards boot up correctly ? What causes the line cards boot up incorrectly ? If you are talking about the configuration of the ports on the line card that makes it booting incorrectly, then it makes sense to me. Otherwise, I would appreciate your further advise or explaination.

Sorry for the confusion, what I mean by "boot up correctly" is all the line card is supported with your new supervisor engine and IOS software. Just a quick example, the 6608 T1/E1 line card (for voice) is not supported in any IOS version, but it is supported with CatOS.

HTH,

jerry

Alright Jerry

That makes sense to me. We have been using only GBIC and RJ-45 line cards. So, it shouldn't be a problem. But wondering about the IDSM2 service module ? If I convert the config file correctly, then Do I still need to configure IDSM2 service module or it will automatically come up when I upload IOS version of config file.

Please suggest

subharose

Hi Subharose,

I am not familiar with IDSM2. However, according from the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/5.0/configuration/guide/cli/clilogin.html#wp1029987

IDSM2 is accessed via "session" command. Which make me to believe the IDSM2 is like the other service modules, that they have their own OS and config. And they are stored inside the service module. I don't believe there will be any issue if the config is converted correctly.

HTH,

jerry

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

As has been said, the catos/IOS position on core switches should not make any difference to disctribution/access switches.

I do note, howber the little throwaway "considering I change my configration too" In what way has your configuratio changed? as long as the behaviour of the switch is the same - PVST/MST/Spanning tree roots/VLAN database/VTP Domain/VLANs trunked on ports/Trun protocols etc then there should be no impact. If you have taken the opportunity to tidy things and made a few changes, there may be an impact but without knowing details we cannot say what they would be.

Paul.

thanks guys,

Let me kick start the migration project and see what happens. I am hoping that things will go pretty smoothly

thnx

subahrose

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: