Views
Helpful
Replies

7937 stuck at "Configuring CM List"

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 7937 Conference Phone to set up in our boardroom. It came yesterday so I unboxed it and plugged it in. The phone will boot up, but has been stuck at "Configuring CM List" since I plugged it in.

I left it over night because I had other things to take care of, then came in this morning to see if anything had changed. Still stuck in the same place. If I reset the phone, it starts up, says Configuring VLAN, then right back to Configuring CM List.

The phone is defined in our Callmanager and we have enough DLUs to support it. I have also checked the network configuration on the phone and that is all just fine, but the phone will not ever finish booting.

Other phones work just fine plugged into the same switch port.

I also installed the latest firmware for the 7937 onto the CM to see if that would fix the problem. The phone downloaded and installed the firmware, but then went right back to Configuring CM List.

Any thoughts? I can go into Settings and ping the callmanager, so I know they can communicate. I am stumped. The callmanager version is 6.1(a) if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Chris

25 Replies 25

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Restart the TFTP service. Maybe its hung and not delivering everything to the phone that is needed.

Already tried that I'm afraid. I had to restart the TFTP service to get the phone to see the new firmware.

Sure it's in the right device pool with the CUCM servers listed?

Yup. Same device pool as all servers and phones at this location. It is very odd. I can ping the callmanager from the phone by IP address as well as by name. I can ping the phone from the callmanager as well.

I did read something about multicasting causing 7937s to unregister, but I don't believe that is an issue here as the phone never registered in the first place.

I do know that it is communicating with the CM server, as when you go into services and look at Callmanager 1, it shows the DNS name of our callmanager server. I also know that if I delete the registration from the callmanager server, the 7937 immediately goes to "File not Found." When I recreate the registration and reset the phone, it is back to "Configuring CM List"

I forgot to mention -- we are not doing any multicasting to my knowledge, and the only other devices on this VLAN are two other phones that are working fine. They are 7940s.

If you had another 7937 out of the box doing the same thing, I would say bounce the CUCM service on each server, because its probably not the phone.

Another test,, duh... just thought of it. Put a static IP address on the phone and also the CUCM server in the list and see if it connects. if it still does not, it's for sure the servers not letting it.

Unfortunately, we only have one 7937 so I can't see if another would have the same problem. But I will try assigning a static IP and static callmanager address in the phone and see what happens.

Thanks,

Chris

You verified all the settings are there for the network? Sounds like you are missing your TFTP server.

Tried statically assigning the network settings -- same result.

Yup, checked the TFTP server -- 10.100.209.2 (the IP address of the callmanager).

Very odd...

are you out of licenses? have you checked the license count?

You would probably get errors in licensing.

I would pull up RTMT and check the log files on CUCM to see what it is saying about that SEP phone not registering. It must not like something??

Licenses are fine. We have 29 DLUs remaining. I also checked the logs in RTMT, but can't find anything out of the ordinary. The only thing that references the 7937 are normal DHCP messages.

jcain1031
Level 4
Level 4

I just received some 7937's for a new implementation (first time working with the 7937) and I am seeing the same thing you are.

I saw the correct voice VLAN (20) being displayed on the phone, but the phone was receiving an IP address on the data VLAN (50). I changed the switchport "access vlan" configuration to VLAN 50 and did away with the "voice vlan" configuration and it correctly registered with CCM.

Interesting...

So when the phone was on vlan 20 it wouldn't work, but when it was on vlan 50 it did?

I don't actually use "switchport voice vlan xx" in my switch config. All of my phones are on a separate VLAN from the data devices, but I just use "switchport access vlan xx" to configure the ports.

I did notice that my 7937 was getting an IP address from the correct VLAN, but that was the access VLAN. No voie VLAN was configured on the port. Is that wrong?

Sorry about that, it should have read as follows...

"I saw the correct voice VLAN (20) being displayed on the phone, but the phone was receiving an IP address on the data VLAN (50). I changed the switchport "access vlan" configuration to VLAN 20 and did away with the "voice vlan" configuration and it correctly registered with CCM."

Basically, when the port was configured to support voice and data it would not work, when it was configured strictly as an access port on the voice VLAN it worked. The following is a sample of the switchport configuration before and after. Note that all other IP phones are using the "BEFORE" configuration.

**BEFORE**

interface FastEthernet3/0/42

switchport access vlan 50

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 20

switchport port-security maximum 2

switchport port-security

switchport port-security aging time 2

switchport port-security violation restrict

switchport port-security aging type inactivity

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

macro description cisco-phone

auto qos voip cisco-phone

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

**AFTER**

interface FastEthernet3/0/42

switchport access vlan 20

switchport mode access

switchport port-security maximum 2

switchport port-security

switchport port-security aging time 2

switchport port-security violation restrict

switchport port-security aging type inactivity

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

macro description cisco-phone

auto qos voip cisco-phone

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: