CCIP self-study materials

Answered Question
Sep 11th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi Guys,

I'm wandering if anyone could make some suggestions regarding training materials for the Qos, MPLS and BGP exams of the CCIP cert.

I've heard the End to End QoS design Ciscopress book is good for QoS.

O'Rielly have a BGP book that looks good aswell.

Has anyone here self-studied these exams and if so, can you recommend any materials?

TIA

Regards

Scott

Correct Answer by jcrussell about 8 years 6 months ago

I had already taken the QoS test when I did the CCVP. I used the QoS Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odom for that test. For the CCIP, I took the combined BGP+MPLS test. I used the following books:

MPLS Fundamentals by Luc de Ghein

Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halabi

Routing TCP/IP Vol II by Jeff Doyle

Good luck in your studies!

Correct Answer by crscrsone about 8 years 6 months ago

1) MPLS and VPN Architectures CCIE Edition, Cisco Press

ISBN 1-58705-081-1, 2002

2) The MPLS Primer - An Introduction to Multiprotocol Label Switching, Sean Harnedy, 2002

Correct Answer by aramaphosa about 8 years 6 months ago

Hi

I would recommend the following Ciscopress books for self studying for the CCIP.

642-642 QOS - Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide (IP Telephony Self-Study), 2nd Edition by Wendell Odom, Michael Cavanaugh.

642-901 BSCI - Routing TCP/IP Volume I (CCIE Professional Development) by Jeff Doyle, and Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development) by Jeff Doyle, Jennifer DeHaven Carroll. There is a book dedicated to the BSCI exam, but the Doyle books are very well written, and easy to read.

642-661 BGP - Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development) by Jeff Doyle, Jennifer DeHaven Carroll, Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook by William R. Parkhurst, and Internet Routing Architectures, 2nd Edition by Sam Halabi.

642-611 MPLS - MPLS and VPN Architectures, CCIP Edition by Ivan Pepelnjak, Jim Guichard.

Aubrey

Overall Rating: 4.7 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
aramaphosa Fri, 09/12/2008 - 00:26
User Badges:

Hi

I would recommend the following Ciscopress books for self studying for the CCIP.

642-642 QOS - Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide (IP Telephony Self-Study), 2nd Edition by Wendell Odom, Michael Cavanaugh.

642-901 BSCI - Routing TCP/IP Volume I (CCIE Professional Development) by Jeff Doyle, and Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development) by Jeff Doyle, Jennifer DeHaven Carroll. There is a book dedicated to the BSCI exam, but the Doyle books are very well written, and easy to read.

642-661 BGP - Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development) by Jeff Doyle, Jennifer DeHaven Carroll, Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook by William R. Parkhurst, and Internet Routing Architectures, 2nd Edition by Sam Halabi.

642-611 MPLS - MPLS and VPN Architectures, CCIP Edition by Ivan Pepelnjak, Jim Guichard.

Aubrey

Correct Answer
crscrsone Sat, 09/13/2008 - 05:43
User Badges:

1) MPLS and VPN Architectures CCIE Edition, Cisco Press

ISBN 1-58705-081-1, 2002

2) The MPLS Primer - An Introduction to Multiprotocol Label Switching, Sean Harnedy, 2002

Scott Cannon Sun, 09/14/2008 - 15:39
User Badges:

Thanks. Defintely not light reading though!

Did you use these texts for your self-study of the CCIP?

If there is anyone else who self-studied the CCIP I'd appreciate your input, even if the text you used are alrady listed.

TIA

Regards

Scott

Correct Answer
jcrussell Sun, 09/14/2008 - 16:28
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

I had already taken the QoS test when I did the CCVP. I used the QoS Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odom for that test. For the CCIP, I took the combined BGP+MPLS test. I used the following books:

MPLS Fundamentals by Luc de Ghein

Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halabi

Routing TCP/IP Vol II by Jeff Doyle

Good luck in your studies!

Scott Cannon Mon, 09/15/2008 - 21:51
User Badges:

Thanks JC.

I have a question regading the MPLS Fundamentals book. I've had a look at reviews on Amazon and they all tend to lean in the direction that the book is rather full-on and doesn't introduce MPLS to someone who, say, has CCNP but little exposure to MPLS in the real-world.

Perhaps you could introduce me to your level of experience prior to reading the book and how you found the content?

Thanks

Regards

Scott

Actions

This Discussion