Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems probing for rogue access points

ericn8484_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a situation where I am trying to locate a rogue AP in one of my office buildings. When I bring a laptop over there with NetStumbler or Inssider, I get no response from any access points or clients. Its like that throughout the entire building. However when I leave the building, the AP start to come up but I cant get near them.

I have another build that we have as well and the probing works just fine. Would there be a controller template or access point template that would be causing this problem?

Here is what I am running:

Cisco 4400 controller with firmware 4.2.130.0

Cisco 4400 controller with firmware 5.0.148.0

Cisco WCS 5.1.64.0

The access points that are connected to the controller with a firmware of 4.2.130.0 is the one that seems to be stopping my attempts with probing. So far my searching for causes has not turned up anything=(

Any help would be greatly appreciative.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What are you seeing in the logs? Are the two controllers being used as primary and secondary? You should keep the code the same, just in case ap's move to the other controller?

When you see a rouge ap, it will also state which ap's are hearing that rouge ap and the signal strength. If you see it -86db or worse, then it is outside of your building most likely.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Looks like its to late to see my logs from when I was last testing. I will try it again and see what the logs tell me.

The reason we are running two different firmwares is because we have recently added Cisco 7921 phones and the 5.0.148.0 firmware has a bug where it will lock up the 7921 phones. So we have one controller running older firmware for testing.

4.2.130 is a Cisco gold code along with 4.1.185. 5.0 is buggy and 5.1 is too new.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card