cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problems with copy paste config

peter-net
Level 1
Level 1

Basic I know but is driving me mad. Am writing configs in notepad then copy/pasting to new swicthes - after about 1/2 the config copies in (sucessfully) - I start to lose data in the copy process - is this to do with memory buffers somewhere ? (Dont tell me to tftp - thanks)

24 Replies 24

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you using hyperterminal?I have seen this issue as well in the past. Try Putty/Secure CRT.

If you have to use hyperterminal, try changing ASCII set up(increasing line delay). You can do this under File > properties > settings > ASCII setup

I've had issue with copy/paste commands and up/down arrow keys. Cisco provided following config and after that worked fine for me!

conf t

line con 0 

stopbits 1

end

Hi

I  am new to this community and wondered if anyone has experienced the problem of when I copy and paste a whole config file into any of the emulators I have tried ie. Tera term, HyperTerm and Putty

with a Cisco 800 series router, the commands end up going in triplicate into the router.

Eg. Router# hostname router1

Router# hostname router1   

Router# hostname router1   

I do split the the amount I copy and paste rather than take the whole config at once.

This does not create any problems to the router working but obviously not easy to read.

Thank you in advance.

I know that is a really old post.... but we still facing the problem .... and is great do not be alone

I found this site with a short awk script that working great for me

https://networkthings.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/copypaste-en-la-consola-cisco/

thanks a lot for a good Forum

Hello!

Teraterm, the best friend of IT, it works like a charm! Thanks for everything.

I solved my problem!

I take my config information from a spread sheet format.

If I open it in Notepad ++ and show all information it includes all my ! and spaces.

This is the reason for the triplicate entries.

Thanks for posting back to the forum and letting us know that you have solved your problem. It is good news when someone posts about a problem and then is able to find the solution to their own problem. Congratulations to you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

anthony.king
Level 1
Level 1

It's a problem with flow control between the switch and your terminal emulator. It's never been more than s slight annoyance with me so I never messed with the settings to figure out what it was specifically. I just paste the config in to the device in several smaller sections.

SJessulat_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this problem differs from device to device:

You can copy quite large amounts of text into a router's console, but switches can handle not that much lines at one time. Access Points are even worse.

I guess this is indeed caused by the CPU/memory of the devices.

Regards,

Sebastian

Prashanth is quite right in his explanation that the paste function is out running the input buffer of the router or switch. And correct that configuring line feed delay (or even character delay) will slow down the paste and allow the router or switch to catch up.

He is not correct in associating this problem only with Hyperterm and suggesting that SecurCRT would fix it. I have experienced the problem with SecurCRT.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ahmed Mukhtar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

Ive recently encountered this problem with SecureCRT and ive come to know that its your terminal emulator (SecureCRT, putty etc) that has some issues ! in secureCRT you have to go to session options by right clicking on the TAB if you have a prompt open, and go into Modes beneath the Emulation category and Check mark "New line Mode", and i hope your problem will be solved if not...then try telnet from CMD of windows to the cisco device and do the pasting there it will surely work! because its not your Device that's faulty its your emulator

If you have other emulator's play around with their settings a bit and hopefully that will solve the issue

Regards

Ahmed Mukhtar

I am not sure that it is correct to assert that this is an issue with the terminal emulator. The problem is a mismatch between the speed with which the emulator can send text and the speed with which the router or switch can process the text. There are two ways to solve this problem. You can make the router or switch process faster (difficult to achieve) or you can make the emulator go slower (generally easy to achieve). But that does not mean that there is a problem with the emulator.

I would suggest that one way to look at it is that today's PCs and emulators have very high performance levels and are capable of sending text very quickly. And in some cases we want the high performance quick transmission of text while in other cases we want to slow down the rate of transmission. So the high rate of transmission from the PC and emulator is really an advantage and not a problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes thats technically true what you have said, but my SecureCRT was copy and pasting just fine when all of a sudden i couldn't do that anymore, then i did a telnet to the switch and copy and pasted from there, and it worked like a charm.... then i fixed the problem in SecureCRT like i have posted above.

What do you make of that Mr.Richard Burts?

Regards

Ahmed Mukhtar

And another thing, I did a telnet from windows CMD and it worked! but when i did a telnet from SecureCRT it didn't, so clearly the emulator went buggy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: